Sunday, November 13, 2011

Aubrey's Birth Story [Warning: Photo Overload!]

Aubrey Michele Davis--Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 7:57 P.M.--6 pounds 11 ounces--19 1/4 inches long


I went to the doctor on Monday, 10/31 for my 40 week check up. The doctor measured my belly and said that she was going to be a big baby by the way I was measuring. I decided for an induction since 1. I didn't want to deliver a big baby and 2. I was tired of being pregnant and not making any progress. She checked me and I was still dilated to 1 cm. So, we set my induction to start Thursday at 7:15 A.M.


 Baxter made all of his preparations to be out of work for the weekend. I called my Mom and let her know we were inducing. Then we made the calls to everyone else. My Mom and sister were going to be in the delivery room with me, along with Baxter, so I had to let her know that she needed to be out of school Thursday. 

On Wednesday night, I had some small contractions, but made no progress by the time we made it to the hospital. I had 4 hours of sleep that night, and got up at 4:45 Thursday morning to take one last shower and eat a light breakfast before heading to the hospital. I left my house that morning, knowing it was the last time I would leave while pregnant. I definitely had a mix of emotions...which were mostly nerves by this time.

We arrived at the hospital at 6:45 A.M. and got registered. They sent us up to Labor and Delivery, and we went to our room. We sat around until 7:15, when the nurse came in. She had me change in to my hospital gown and got all my information needed. 

Around 7:45, the nurse checked me and I was 1 cm and 30% effaced. She inserted the IV in to my arm, and blew my vein. I still have a huge, nasty bruise from it! So she ended up getting the vein in my wrist. After getting my IV in, she started Pitocin...which I have decided is the bitch. It was horrible. I hated it. 
At 8:45, the nurse and the doctor came in and checked me again. I was at 2 cm and 50% effaced within an hour. This is when the doctor broke my water and told me that I would probably deliver late Thursday night/early Friday morning. So I was expecting a long labor at this point. 
At 2:00, I was practically begging for my epidural. So, we told the nurse, she checked me, and then the anesthesiologist came in. He seriously was my best friend after I got my epi! When she checked me, I was only 3 cm and 90% effaced. So, I basically made no progress since 8:45. I believe it was from me not relaxing and I would tense up with all the contractions. 
The doctor came in at 4:30, and checked me again. I was 7 cm and 100% effaced. I was shocked! I went 3 cm in 2 hours! The doctor told me that I would be checked again at 7:30 and we should be able to push then. I was excited, yet nervous! Once I relaxed, things definitely got moving. 
Around 6:45, I started feeling a lot of pressure in my butt. I told my Mom and everyone else in the room, and we said we would just wait until the nurse came in and checked me. Around 7:20 or so, the nurse came in and checked me. She checked me, and Aubrey was literally right there. She told me "don't move, don't do anything. Just lay there." 
The nurse came back in, and we started pushing. After 20ish minutes of pushing, at 7:57 P.M., Aubrey made her debut in to the world. The first thing out of my mouth was "You aren't a big baby!" I laid my head back and cried once I heard that first cry. It is truly the best sound in the world. And I cannot believe how much I love something this small. She's perfect!
We have been home 8 days, and getting used to each other. She is such a happy and content baby. She truly makes life so much better. I have never been happier in my entire life, even though I'm sleep deprived. 








 

1 comment: